For decades, the horror film has been at once vilified for its often-violent content and exploited by large film studios as a near-certain moneymaker. In recent years, however, a small number of international auteurs have emerged to infuse the genre with a new kind of meaning and intelligence, even as they reinvigorate flagging box office returns.
The New Horror Handbook goes behind the scenes to speak with modern horror luminaries including:
- Eli Roth (director, Hostel, Cabin Fever)
- Greg McLean (director, Wolf Creek, Rogue)
- Darren Lynn Bousman (director, Saw II-IV, Repo! The Genetic Opera)
- Alex Bustillo, Julien Maury (writer, director, Inside)
- John Fawcett (director, Ginger Snaps, The Dark)
- Karen Walton (writer, Ginger Snaps)
- Katharine Isabelle (co-star, Ginger Snaps)
- Emily Perkins (co-star, Ginger Snaps)
- Vincenzo Natali (director, Cube, Splice)
- Steve Niles (creator, 30 Days of Night)
and many others.
Along the way, The New Horror Handbook explores the twists and turns that have led these individuals down the darker avenues of entertainment, and what keeps their fans coming back for more.